Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Bees


The crabapple tree in our backyard is in full bloom, so of course it attracts a lot of bees and bumblebees and wasps. I've always thought bees were so fuzzy and cute (although I've never liked honey), so when I heard a faint buzzing in the grass, I knelt down to investigate. There were two honeybees caught in the grass, struggling to get free. I gave one of them a lift, and he was soon buzzing off happily. But the other one just couldn't fly. I remembered hearing that sometimes bees don't pack enough fuel with them to get to where they want to go, and they end up crashing somewhere, unable to fly home. So I picked up the little guy and asked Alyssa to get a flower or something for us to give it so it could drink the nectar and get enough energy to fly home to its hive. But wait! She had a better idea! Soon she had brought a very large spoonful of honey, probably enough to feed a few dozen bees. The bee must have sensed the honey was there, because he kind of rolled over to it. And of course the best way to help him out was to dump the spoonful of honey on top of him! Anyway... apparently he didn't think much of the idea and got so upset that he was now a honey-covered bee that he stung the palm of my hand... which as you probably know, bees die anyway when they sting someone or something. :P It's a good thing he was a very weak bee at the moment because he gave a very weak sting. but still, the ungratefullness!!!

3 comments:

Alyssa said...

yes, the ungratefulness! I didn't MEAN to put honey on him, it was his falt, he wanted to swim in it like that honey pool on the bee movie haha

Anonymous said...

How bad does it hurt? I thought the ending would be that it would get better and fly away. But, nope. :P Get better soon. :D

*Mandy* said...

well it was just a prick, it's all gone now...