Monday, January 14, 2008

Farm show

Here's a little thing I wrote up on some of the things I did at the Farm Show last week on the 6th and 7th...


I went both days so I got to do even more (yay!)... First we went to all the stands and booths. They gave out some free promos like candy and junk, I tried only to take candy. Two stands had free ice cream, mmmm... they had poultry, rabbits, horses, goats, sheep, pigs, cows, and a few other exotic animals. There were a handful of alpacas, some peacocks (I ended up getting three peacock feathers, I love peacock feathers!), and even an elk and a buffalo. I bought this cool crystal paperweight at one of the stands.
In the poultry section there were of course lots of chickens and roosters and ducks and geese and turkeys. There were also some exhibits, one had some adorable ducklings, and there was an incubator that you could look into and watch the chicken eggs inside hatching. And there was another exhibit that they put the chicks that had hatched and dried into.
The rabbit section was my favorite. All the rabbits were so cute! My favorites were the lops of course, and after that, Dutch rabbits. There was a litter of baby dutch bunnies, aww...
Right by the rabbits were the horses. Our friend Korah tried petting one of the horses and it whirled around and tried to nip her! The other horses were nicer though. For some reason this year they had mostly draft horses. On Sunday at least. When we went on Monday they were gone... it's was odd, but I'm guessing it was because they were only needed in the shows on Sunday and then again on the following Friday. So they didn't really need to be kept there the whole week. Anyway...
The sheep and goats were nice for the most part... I even got to pet a cute baby goat. But the pigs stunk! literally... Korah tried petting one of the pigs and it tried to bite her too...
The cows were okay... the only show scheduled for Monday was the beef cow show... B-O-R-I-N-G. The shows on Sunday were really cool though. First they had the Pennsylvania mounted police do a show where they maneuvered their horses around the arena. (In the large arena (it was a really huge arena!) )... but before they did the show, while they were practicing for it, Alyssa and Korah and I went to the arena to watch them practice. And one of them rode over and let us pet his horse. It slobbered on me (the horse that is) but I didn't really care you know even though it was kind of gross.
Anyway the other show they had that day was where they hitched draft horses to carriages and had a contest for the best hitches. First they had hitches of four, then the unicorn hitch (three), then teams of two. Then they had a contest for most original/creative carriage. My favorite was the carriage that looked almost like Cinderella's coach, pulled by white Percherons, and it won! There was also a hearse pulled by black horses, a buggy, a fire engine, a covered wagon, and some others. Then they had and obstacle course for the teams of horses. There were weaving poles, and boards painted to give the illusion of depth to make the horses scared to walk over them, and some other obstacles.
Anyway we did some other stuff but this post is probably getting long and boring.

1 comments:

Alyssa said...

too bad we don't have pictures but we didn't want to lose the camera by accident.